Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Deep Dish Pizza

I had a crazy allergy headache today from too much yard work. I trimmed all the azaleas and could smell the mold on them as I was cutting them - so - as I was healing with a few hours on the couch today, I was flipping channels and landed on Mystic Pizza. Naturally a pizza craving was not too far behind. I decided to mix up my typical pizza making and go deep dish. I used my regular crust recipe - as I was making the crust I preheated the oven to 400 and set the cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat as well. When the crust was ready I formed it and then set it inside the cast iron skillet and pressed it on the sides of the pan - it started to sizzle as soon as it hit the pan - yum. I put the crust in the oven for about 6 minutes while I prepared the toppings. I removed the pan - added the sauce, toppings of spinach and feta, and topped the whole thing with cheese - then back it went into the oven for another 17 minutes. The crust was crispy on the bottom and done all the way through - it was quite tasty! I will definitely do this one again. Normally I go for the thin crust but this was just what the doctor ordered.



No comments:

Post a Comment