Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Beignets and Book Club


Beignets
Originally uploaded by lyricalmezzo
The Elegance of the Hedgehog

Monday night was book club and we read Elegance of the Hedgehog. The book takes place in an upscale condo building in France. The two main characters are the buildings concierge and a twelve year old girl. Both characters are hiding their intelligence from others. It’s a great read and I thoroughly enjoyed every ounce of it; I would place it high on my recommendation list. It also urged me to try something new. In the book the main character Renee is always having pastries with one of the house keepers in the building. Well, I am not a baker, but I did think I could hand beignets so…that’s what I made. Unfortunately, my schedule did not allow me to take them to book club while they were still hot, but they were none-the-less pretty darned tasty for a first attempt. If you are looking for something new to do, make a batch of beignets and hunker down with this book. (Madelines would be much more appropriate, but I don’t have that kind of time or a Madeline pan, so…)

No comments:

Post a Comment