Saturday, May 7, 2011

Invisibility Cloak


in·vis·i·ble   /ɪnˈvɪzəbəl/ Show Spelled
[in-viz-uh-buhl] Show IPA

–adjective
1. not visible; not perceptible by the eye: invisible fluid.
2. withdrawn from or out of sight; hidden: an invisible seam.
3. not perceptible or discernible by the mind: invisible differences.
4. not ordinarily found in financial statements or reflected in statistics or a listing: Goodwill is an invisible asset to a business.
5. concealed from public knowledge.
–noun
6. an invisible thing or being.
7. the invisible, the unseen or spiritual world.
Use invisibility in a Sentence
See images of invisibility
Search invisibility on the Web

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1300–50; Middle English < Latin invīsibilis. See in-3 , visible

—Related forms
in·vis·i·bil·i·ty, in·vis·i·ble·ness, noun
in·vis·i·bly, adverb
qua·si-in·vis·i·ble, adjective
qua·si-in·vis·i·b·ly, adverb


—Synonyms
2. veiled, obscure.

Why am I posting the definition of this word? There are times when I don an invisibility cloak. This is usually not conscious nor is it related to any specific time of year, month, day or season. It is a random donning that even I don't know about. Now, friends will back me up on my social invisibility...I can not tell you the number of times I have met someone for the "first" time. It is the first time for them (so they think) but the umpteenth time for me. And if someone does remember meeting me they inevitably call me by the wrong name. Usually Donna, Dana, Debbie, even once a Michelle and a Linda. Few get so daringly close as Diana and even fewer get Diane. I am accustomed to this type of invisibility.

The more unusual type of invisibility, and much more troublesome, is public invisibility. I get this randomly in such places as the grocery store, Target and occasionally at Home Depot. The worst case was a recent trip to Davis Produce, which I love. I was in line with my produce and the cashier waited on everyone behind me in line and never noticed that I was there - I have a witness to this. I don't know why I didn't just leave with my bounty of produce...I finally got her attention and she obviously had never seen me standing directly in front of her.

Here is what is frustrating about the whole invisibility issue. I have no control over it. I can't sneak into a meeting unseen, I can't hide and get the numbers for a safe full of money and I can't commit and get away with any crime. So what I really need is not sympathy for my apparent lack of memorability. What I need is tips on controlling this "power" so I can benefit from it. Are there any other invisibles out there with the secret to this odd gift from the universe. Are you watching me now? I sense your presence...make yourself known...teach me the secrets of this life style.

No comments:

Post a Comment